I am back in Spain for another year. I will continue to do updates like I did all last year.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

A pat-down at the airport is not a good sign

Ok so this is going to be a long one... Just a warning.
So at Philadelphia they must have the metal detector setting at the most sensitive level. I set it off no less than 7 times and finally the chick got tired of telling me to walk back and forth and just sent me to the glass box. The TSA agent was nice enough to explain how she was going to grope me since it was the underwire in my bra that kept setting it off. After that I went on my merry way and for once I made small talk in the airport with a guy on my flight who was going to Barcelona. I again made small talk with the girl next to me, she and 5 others are on a mission trip to Madrid to fix up some church.

I got a taxi from the airport to the hotel around 9 o'clock a.m and my taxi driver had a couple close calls where he saw fit to curse and flip other drivers off.
At the hotel I was exhausted but was in orientation by 9:30 only half an hour late. The morning session was uneventful and I went to my hotel room and slept during the lunch break. I felt much better after my nap. The afternoon sessions were interesting because first was the region meeting where I met other people traveling to Zaragoza the next day. After that meeting we had the best meeting of the day....the one for the auxiliares de Los estados unidos! So in the meeting we had 3 people from the embassy came to talk to us. The first speaker was a guy with a military background who told us about the petty crime here in Spain. He wasn't that interesting but the next speaker was woman who told us that they are seeing a lot more violent crime in Spain. Just recently she said a woman was visiting her son who was here studying abroad; she went home with a strange guy from a bar who murdered and dismembered her body. The meeting sounds like it wasn't fun but it was! They told us it's probably best if we don't drive while we are here and that we DO NOT have to pay US taxes or Spanish taxes on what we make. (did you get that M&D)
After that I went on a walk around the hotel and then went back for dinner which was at 8 p.m because that is the normal dinner time here. I went to bed after that and slept till 10 a.m. Got up had breakfast and went to the bus station to catch the 1:00 bus to Zaragoza. The group of 5 of us got to the hostel around 6 p.m. and then went walking around the city.
All in all it has been fine though I am nervous about getting to the town tomorrow. I will be contacting my director by email and try her phone.
That's all for now. Sorry no pics yet! xoxo


  1. Great story...I've signed up and am now a loyal follower. I hope your not going to start charging. I responded initially via facebook before I realized I can comment hear. Keep on blogging.

  2. OK So now I'm nervous....no going home with men from bars! LOL You sound much relieved that everything is working out. I'm glad! Let us know as soon as you have a permanent address. Will have to start sending reminders of home:)