I am back in Spain for another year. I will continue to do updates like I did all last year.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Bon Nadal from Benilloba & Prospero Año Nuevo from Madrid

That is Merry Christmas in Valenciano for those of you who couldn't figure it out on your own, haha.

I had a wonderful time visiting with my cousins.  I spent time with one cousin in her town that is near Benidorm called Polop de la Marina.  She drove me around and showed me the beautiful waterfront and later we walked around her town which is very nice.  The next day we went to the pueblo Benilloba, and the road there is an adventure that I can't even describe.  All I will say is that I made sure to breathe and concentrate on not getting sick in the car!  The family home in Benilloba is beautiful but it was much colder than I imagined.  They had a fire going for everyone to keep warm and the ambiance was like out of a Christmas movie.  It was great to talk with all of them, and I was surprised that for the most part they understood my sub-par Spanish and I only gave them a few laughs with my pronunciation and bad grammar.  I had a wonderful time in Benilloba and plan to return as soon as I can.

Everyone at Christmas!
 Later in the week I went to Madrid with my friend from Canada and her sister who visited her for the winter break.  I didn't get a chance to see any of Madrid when I was there for orientation since I had that whole problem with my flight being canceled.  Unfortunately the weather was miserable but luckily cleared up for New Year's Eve.  We partied in the Puerta del Sol, which is the place that everyone gathers for the ringing of the bell.  Also, it seems that in Madrid people dress up with wigs, crazy hats and glasses and so we dressed up as well.  The classic Spanish custom on New Year's Eve is to eat a grape with each chime of the bell for good luck.  I didn't participate and I didn't hear the bell, I don't know if it was because people were partying too loud or it didn't happen.  It was a lot of fun, maybe too much fun because now I have a pretty bad cough but it was worth it!  Here is me with my shiny mo-hawk wig and crazy glasses....

2 comments:

  1. Locaaaaa....guapa!!!

    La proxima vez me llevas contigo, vale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly seem to be having a blast!! What an amazing experience for you to take with you for the rest of your life!!! I hope you are taking lots of pictures, which I'm sure you will have fun scrapbooking!! :)

    I mailed your christmas gift too late. Hopefully it will still be waiting for you when you return to school. It took me and the postal worker 45 minutes to figure out how to fill out the mailing slip... You will receive the rest of your gifts when you are home! I will not be doing the mailing thing again :)

    We are cleaning up from christmas and then I move on to the basement..Ugh!! But it has to be done! When you get home this will look like a different house...

    I love this picture of you!!! You look so happy! Well, I hope you have a Happy New Year and we miss you!

    ReplyDelete