I am back in Spain for another year. I will continue to do updates like I did all last year.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Finished the Course

On Thursday I finished the final day of the language assistant course that I signed up for in October.  On the last day we were supposed to do a presentation on an idea that "works" for us in class, I just presented on my conversation classes because they are different than what is done in the primary and secondary schools.  The night before I realized that maybe it would be a good idea to ask whether it had to be in English or Spanish.  The course organizer told me Spanish so of course I had a mini-heart/panic attack but then realized I can ask for help.  I asked Ana and a woman who I give lessons to during the week to help me refine my Spanish and presentation.  I was still very nervous though confident my Spanish was ok.  On Thursday I get there and the organizer says we can present in our native language if we feel more comfortable doing that.  (By the way there were French assistants there also which is why he said to present in Spanish in the first place.)  In the end it was fine, I don't know why I was stressed especially since only 2 of us followed the format he wanted and only 11 out of about 30 presented.  And I am pretty sure everyone gets a certificate of completion though we will see, he didn't mention anything about the certificate.

This next week we just have classes on Monday and Tuesday!  I am presenting about Christmas but not in the traditional way.  Confused?  I'll explain, I am presenting on the differences between Spanish and American Christmas but I am going to devote more time to teaching about Kwanzaa and Chanukah (Hanukkah).  Here in Spain these celebrations are not very well known at all so it will be interesting and I hope fun for the students to learn about them.  I am also making cookies for the Christmas parties that we are having on both days and I am working on getting a lot of holiday music in English to play at the party.  I will hopefully remember to take pictures and post them after the 3 week break.

So in closing, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment